Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Some people are great test takers and others are not as fortunate. Tests help guarantee the placing of a student in class and what they are capable of, but almost nobody is a fan of taking any sort of test and studying for it is even worse.Taking tests for classes are normal and students have time to prepare and study for it. Whereas for ISTEP, no possible way exists to study for it, besides to review everything you have done in the past 2 years, but even so, it is still unsure of what exactly will be on the test and that is just unfair to everyone, especially the people who are not as great test takers than the rest. Basing off of the ISTEP scores for whether or not a student will have remediation mentor or not be able to graduate unless they get a signature by a Math or English teacher is not justifiable at all. It should not matter if a person passes the ISTEP in order to graduate because we all have different strengths and limits which allows us to be better at one thing than the other. It is almost nearly impossible to study for the Istep because no one has any idea of what is going to be on the test. Even the teachers barely have some sort of general idea of what will be on the test and even so, the tests change often so teachers could lose their understanding of the material that will be on the test as well. Whether it is over what we learned about this year, last year or the year before, all we can do until the big day comes is stress and worry.

School days are already long and tiring enough for both students and teachers/staff. The homework we are assigned, tests we study for, notes and lessons we have to listen in for, all are so tiring and most importantly, time-consuming. A large majority of the students attending school participates in all kinds of sports which is topped onto homework and projects and tests to study for. Juggling all these priorities and working hard in practices are already stressful and difficult enough to do, so why make it even tougher on all of us with tests that is overall just not necessary for anyone?

Expecting students who already have a lot on their plate, when we shouldn’t be at our age, to pass a moderately difficult test to guarantee whether or not we move on is not very kind of the state. Teenagers and adults have different body stamina and concentration levels because of age and the difference of what teens and adults do everyday. Therefore, students should not have to work as long as adults do and that is a big mistake many adults make. This is the 21st century and we should be evolving instead of taking steps backwards. Many might think taking ISTEP tests on devices such as laptops and ipads instead of using paper and pencil is a progress and something to be proud of, but it is just the opposite. Taking ISTEP on devices is overall just harder on us but easier for the people grading the test. If anything, only more stress is being put on students rather than releasing stress and the people behind the curtain should be coming up with ways to make the testing process easier for the test takers rather than harder.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think progress would be to just terminate the Istep test taking. Not being able to study for a big, important test is something I would consider to be not very wise and would not be beneficial to the students testing. I think this because when people stress a lot, their performance is not the best as it can be and that is an error that many make. The stress and worry that builds up eventually takes over and clouds their mind which makes it difficult to do well on anything, no matter what it is. Do you agree with what I have written or do you think that Istep should be allowed to continue?

8 Responses to “Why ISTEP Is Not Needed”

1. Jack Salyers on March 24th, 2019 6:57 pm

Great Story Bella! I enjoyed reading this article a lot because I’m not the biggest fan of ISTEP either. I like most of your points in this article as well. Keep up the outstanding writing.

2. Caleb Johnson on April 8th, 2019 7:50 am

I agree fully with your opinion. Many students have other skills than math and english. Although those are essential, I think the student body could suffice without ISTEP. Students have an abundance of priorities throughout the school day and ISTEP is one more thing to stress about. Great Article Bella!

3. Ethan Eckenboy on April 10th, 2019 1:20 pm

Great article Bella. I agree with your opinion, not everyone is great at taking tests.

4. Jenna Roeske on April 10th, 2019 1:24 pm

I agree with you about terminating the ISTEP test all together. The test is very hard for all grades that have to take it and I wouldn’t think that anyone likes it. I think that this was a great article and that you stated and backed up your opinion very well.

5. Savannah Haseltine on April 10th, 2019 1:32 pm

THIS! Everything about this is just great. With being teenagers, there’s a lot more stress and anxiety about tests than adults realize, because we also have so many other things going on. So adding a big mysterious test is just a horrible idea. With normal tests for classes, we have time to prepare and study over the material the test will be over, but not for ISTEP (or ILEARN for those of us in junior high). And yes, some people just aren’t good test takers, but then they have the opportunity to make that up with classwork. ISTEP doesn’t give you that chance, and I really don’t think it should be continued. So, long story short, I agree with you that ISTEP isn’t necessarily needed.

6. Cole McCloskey on April 10th, 2019 1:34 pm

I have no argument Bella! We already have enough tests and studying to do, and then they go on to add around a dozen hours of more testing. That is not ok. I hope you keep writing great articles!

7. Levi Dyer on April 16th, 2019 5:48 pm

I completely agree. Some of the smartest seniors I know didn’t pass the ISTEP. Either the testing was flawed or the process wasn’t favorable to the test takers. I can’t see how the ISTEP could accurately gauge a person’s intelligence or their knowledge. Anyway, you did a great job on this article.

8. Cjay74 on April 17th, 2019 9:04 pm

Bella, I completely agree with you. Istep testing is completely obtuse and not necessary. The days are long enough at the school. The testing disrupts AP classes, which have actually important tests, and it has no real guidelines. great work, keep it up!

*

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to My Brother

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to All Girls

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

You are not alone..

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

Seeing God’s Grandeur through the Darkness

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

Annual Spitznogle Christmas

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

Finals Season

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

The Bond Between the Seniors

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet!

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

Seeing Suicide From a Different Standpoint

• Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Courier Top Opinion Article

An Open Letter to My Sisters

Why ISTEP Is Not Needed