Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Why ISTEP Is Not Needed

Some people are great test takers and others are not as fortunate. Tests help guarantee the placing of a student in class and what they are capable of, but almost nobody is a fan of taking any sort of test and studying for it is even worse.Taking tests for classes are normal and students have time to prepare and study for it. Whereas for ISTEP, no possible way exists to study for it, besides to review everything you have done in the past 2 years, but even so, it is still unsure of what exactly will be on the test and that is just unfair to everyone, especially the people who are not as great test takers than the rest. Basing off of the ISTEP scores for whether or not a student will have remediation mentor or not be able to graduate unless they get a signature by a Math or English teacher is not justifiable at all. It should not matter if a person passes the ISTEP in order to graduate because we all have different strengths and limits which allows us to be better at one thing than the other. It is almost nearly impossible to study for the Istep because no one has any idea of what is going to be on the test. Even the teachers barely have some sort of general idea of what will be on the test and even so, the tests change often so teachers could lose their understanding of the material that will be on the test as well. Whether it is over what we learned about this year, last year or the year before, all we can do until the big day comes is stress and worry.

School days are already long and tiring enough for both students and teachers/staff. The homework we are assigned, tests we study for, notes and lessons we have to listen in for, all are so tiring and most importantly, time-consuming. A large majority of the students attending school participates in all kinds of sports which is topped onto homework and projects and tests to study for. Juggling all these priorities and working hard in practices are already stressful and difficult enough to do, so why make it even tougher on all of us with tests that is overall just not necessary for anyone?

Expecting students who already have a lot on their plate, when we shouldn’t be at our age, to pass a moderately difficult test to guarantee whether or not we move on is not very kind of the state. Teenagers and adults have different body stamina and concentration levels because of age and the difference of what teens and adults do everyday. Therefore, students should not have to work as long as adults do and that is a big mistake many adults make. This is the 21st century and we should be evolving instead of taking steps backwards. Many might think taking ISTEP tests on devices such as laptops and ipads instead of using paper and pencil is a progress and something to be proud of, but it is just the opposite. Taking ISTEP on devices is overall just harder on us but easier for the people grading the test. If anything, only more stress is being put on students rather than releasing stress and the people behind the curtain should be coming up with ways to make the testing process easier for the test takers rather than harder.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think progress would be to just terminate the Istep test taking. Not being able to study for a big, important test is something I would consider to be not very wise and would not be beneficial to the students testing. I think this because when people stress a lot, their performance is not the best as it can be and that is an error that many make. The stress and worry that builds up eventually takes over and clouds their mind which makes it difficult to do well on anything, no matter what it is. Do you agree with what I have written or do you think that Istep should be allowed to continue?