Filed under Sports

My Last High School Wrestling Match

My Last High School Wrestling Match

A picture from a match during the regular season

As I approach my final high school wrestling match, I look back at my career and how far I’ve come. My freshman year I was on the junior varsity team, and my record was not very impressive. I didn’t know a lot and I contemplated quitting the wrestling team because I was getting beat up every day on the mat. My sophomore year I was still on the junior varsity team, and that time I had an impressive record. I started developing a love for the sport during this offseason due to all the tournaments I started going to. My junior year was the first taste of varsity wrestling I had ever seen. I qualified for the regional tournament but lost in the first round. At this point in my career, I was not that skilled and I was very slow, but my love for the sport was still growing. As I started my senior wrestling season, I realized I had only won one tournament across all of my high school wrestling. My mission was to win at least one tournament during my senior campaign. I finally accomplished my goal during the offseason when I won the West Noble Invite.

My freshman year was a very rough year from what I can remember. I only knew a few moves and I was not talented or strong at all. Being so slow and weak hindered me from wrestling to the best of my ability because I had no strength. My teammates were always talking about the latest college wrestling tournament this always made me mad because I never knew what they were talking about. My poor effort and lack of skill resulted in me going 3-12. I barely won a match my freshman year and this was the point when I contemplated quitting wrestling. I thought it wasn’t for me and I put a lot of thought into my decision. Eventually, I decided to stay on the team and just try harder. I was still jv during my sophomore year, and I had zero to little support to stay in the sport. My sophomore year was much the same as my freshman year.

Finally, junior year rolls around and I clinch a varsity spot on the team. I finally earned my chance to show everyone who I was. I constantly missed weight, lost matches, and let my team down during the regular season. I also did not achieve a very high status as I only qualified for regionals. I went to a lot of camps over the summer and put my time in on the mat and on the treadmill. During the regular season of my senior year, I was a solid part of the team. I always got the points coach wanted, and I also was a team captain. After I lost at semi-state, I realized I still had more matches to wrestle.

I knew I would be wrestling HYWAY, an organization that holds offseason tournaments for high schoolers and little kids, at West Noble, Fort Wayne (Carroll), state, and NUWAY nationals. At the West Noble tournament the high school’s head, wrestling coach invited me to join his team for a dual meet tournament in May. These matches will be my last as a student in high school. I’m not looking forward to this day.

3 Responses to “My Last High School Wrestling Match”

1. Jack Salyers on April 10th, 2019 9:16 am

Great story Alex! This story was a very good and emotional story about your wrestling career. I like how you talked about each year and the important things about each one. Keep up the good work!

2. Braxton Armstrong on April 10th, 2019 1:31 pm

I like how you talked about every year leading up to now. This was a very good article, good luck in college.

3. lucas grist on April 10th, 2019 1:38 pm

Great article!! you are doing great this season and on off season you were doing great to.

*

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

Big Orange and Carrol

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

JV Kings Preview

• Sports

Baseball: Kings Win Ship

• Sports

Victory Tastes Like Berries

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

March Madness is Over!!

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

Dawson Goldsberry leads Courier NCAA Picks Contest

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

NCAA March Madness

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

Purdue Basketball 2019 = Great

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

My Last Sport

• My Last High School Wrestling Match

Sports

Proud to be a Hoosier?

My Last High School Wrestling Match