Not So Typical Love Story

Not So Typical Love Story

As love stories and songs pop up, people think about the cliche “love” each song or story brings: how they met, how they fell in love, and not to mention the typical breakups everyone gets themselves into. With high school, however, everyone at least has that typical love story they have to tell and usually ends up being a heartbroken mess. Although my relationships were in junior high, my present love story is not so typical as everyone else and I have a twist: my love story is still continuing.

The beginning of freshman year was terrible in my opinion. I was struggling to get assignments done, family drama going on at home, and just struggling in life. I was in a “funk” for part of it until one morning during a two-hour delay. This guy lives basically down the street from me for the past three years and I never knew who he was. He rode the bus and always passed my house and with myself being shy at that time, I never spoke to him. During one typical two hour delay day, I shyly tapped him on the shoulder saying, “You always pass my house” and although I seemed like a creep saying that to a stranger that I have seen from afar, that comment made history.

As the months continued, we talked more than ever. I finally heard his story and his passions for everything in the world. We made each other laugh so hard we would cry while texting one another. Even on the worst days for me, old counseling days, for example, he would always have a text or two that would bring the “famous Megan” smile that no one would see in a long time and seeing the smile brought curiosity to everyone around me. I knew this guy was important to me and from that moment, I knew I had a best friend. From time to time we would flirt with one another just to brighten up the mood and have those little “crush” talks. I told him constantly that I didn’t want a relationship because people leave and I valued our friendship too much and from that point, he and I created a “six-month rule” where we won’t date until six months is up and still see if he still wanted to be with me. Little did I know that throughout the six months, throughout the laughs and cries, throughout the memories we created together, I had a feeling that I never knew I would have: that feeling was love.

Three years later we’re still together. Tate and I have been through so much together and with myself leaving for college in August, we still plan to have our laughs and cries. Out of these three years, each moment is better than the last. We may portray as the “unique” couple but at the end of the day, I am still grateful that he is still in my life regardless of what other people say. Thank you Tate for being my listener, helper, carer, comedian, lover, and my best friend throughout these three years and I wish for many more!

10 Responses to “Not So Typical Love Story”

1. Ethan Eckenboy on April 10th, 2019 1:18 pm

Great article Megan, well written.

2. Brylee Boettjer on April 10th, 2019 1:18 pm

Megan I loved you story! You did so good. I know for a fact I will miss you next year.

3. Addy Birnell on April 10th, 2019 1:18 pm

Great article Megan! This was so cute! I love how you told your story and it wasn’t the same as everyone else.

4. Lauren Johnson on April 10th, 2019 1:18 pm

I love your love story! It puts a new and exciting perspective on traditional high school relationships!

5. Savannah Archer on April 10th, 2019 1:19 pm

Wow! You’re right, most high school relationships don’t last very long. Yours seems to only get stronger and I, and probably every girl, can only hope to get to that point with someone. You’ve found your ‘person’, as some would say, ad all of us will find ours in the future! I wish you both the best!

6. Savannah Haseltine on April 10th, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this story. Talking about how you met the person you love can get awkward and possibly cheesy, but this was beautifully told. It was just a great article.

7. Elly Logan on April 10th, 2019 1:24 pm

I thought that megan just told us how this relationship with tate all started. She said that they lived down the road from each other. One day she told him you pass my house everyday. After that they stated texting and they made each other laugh and smile.

8. Annie Daily on April 12th, 2019 11:15 am

Awe Megan this story was so cute! It was really fun to read and lighthearted. Keep up the good writing!

9. Brooklynn Fye on April 12th, 2019 4:08 pm

Being an outsider to this relationship, I have seen both of your lives grow together. Meg, I remember when all of this started and I have had the opportunity to watch it continually grow. I am so glad you both are happy together! You did a great job writing this article and explaining everything. You will will go far in your future! Great article, keep writing!

10. Haden McClain on April 17th, 2019 1:49 pm

Wow! You’re right, most high school relationships don’t last very long. I am so glad you both are happy together! You did a great job writing this article and explaining everything. You will will go far in your future! Great article, keep writing!

*

• Not So Typical Love Story

Six Weeks!

• Not So Typical Love Story

Dear Long Lost Best Friend,

• Not So Typical Love Story

Spring Break With My Best Friend

• Not So Typical Love Story

The Roommate That Never Was

• Not So Typical Love Story

It’s Really Okay To Not Be Okay, I Promise

• Not So Typical Love Story

Losing a Father

• Not So Typical Love Story

As the Days Go By: A letter to my best friend

• Not So Typical Love Story

Final Spring Break

• Not So Typical Love Story

Visiting My Future Home

• Not So Typical Love Story

Open Letter to My Best Friend

Not So Typical Love Story