An Upcoming Teacher: Madeline Winterhalter

Madeline+working+with+a+group+of+seniors+for+their+government+project.+

Madeline working with a group of seniors for their government project.

As a kid, everyone has the dream job that he wants to achieve someday whether that be an astronaut or a chef; however, for some people, they want to have a job with a meaning. I am not saying those jobs do not, but for example a social worker is what I would say is a job with a meaning. It has a purpose to serve those in need. With that being said, Madeline Winterhalter, a girl who graduated from Western High School and now is a senior at IUK, has always had a passion for becoming a teacher, and now she is beginning her road to success.

“I have always wanted to become a teacher because I want to help make a positive impact in as many student’s lives as possible,” said Madeline.

Being a high school student, I have had certain teachers influence me on wanting to become a teacher because of the way they teach their students. Certain teachers have a way with their words and their actions; therefore, it makes tons of students want to pursue a teaching career. Sometimes a teacher can influence a student so much that they want to pursue his teaching career in that specific subject. For Madeline, something similar happened to get her to where she is today.

My Junior year in high school, I had a US History teacher and she was just amazing. She had been teaching for close to 40 years and you could tell that she loved to teach. She inspired me everyday that I was in her class and she really pushed me to become a teacher,” said Madeline.

Having a history teacher be the influence on Madeline really helped her want to pursue more and more into the line of teaching that subject; however, she had her own way of describing why she wanted to become a teacher.

She told me, “I have two reasons. First off, I absolutely love history and I love to talk about history. My second reason is that there is an idea that history is boring and I want to show my students that history is actually really exciting.”

That statement really stood out to me because it had a very true meaning to it. Many people, including myself, believe that history is a dull and boring subject; however, with the right teacher, the subject can be transformed into something bright and amusing. Similar to Madeline, Mr. Barnett and Mr. Wilson have that technique where they can make history a subject worth studying more and more.

Now, of course Madeline is really devoted in her work, but she has certain things she loves to do outside of teaching. She loves to read books and teach dance. Personally, I didn’t get the chance to have Madeline be my teacher because I was in Mr. Barnett’s class the first semester; however, I always see her in the hallway, and she is the friendliest young lady I have met. She always gives everyone a friendly smile and a welcoming ‘Hi’ when either walking past in the hallways or entering her room.

Madeline’s last day at Lewis Cass is April 19th so if anyone reading this gets a free moment, go stop in and say hello. I am sure she would love to meet new people, and maybe if you are wanting to pursue a teaching career, you could ask her for advice!