An Upcoming Teacher: Madeline Winterhalter

Madeline+working+with+a+group+of+seniors+for+their+government+project.+

Madeline working with a group of seniors for their government project.

As a kid, everyone has the dream job that he wants to achieve someday whether that be an astronaut or a chef; however, for some people, they want to have a job with a meaning. I am not saying those jobs do not, but for example a social worker is what I would say is a job with a meaning. It has a purpose to serve those in need. With that being said, Madeline Winterhalter, a girl who graduated from Western High School and now is a senior at IUK, has always had a passion for becoming a teacher, and now she is beginning her road to success.

“I have always wanted to become a teacher because I want to help make a positive impact in as many student’s lives as possible,” said Madeline.

Being a high school student, I have had certain teachers influence me on wanting to become a teacher because of the way they teach their students. Certain teachers have a way with their words and their actions; therefore, it makes tons of students want to pursue a teaching career. Sometimes a teacher can influence a student so much that they want to pursue his teaching career in that specific subject. For Madeline, something similar happened to get her to where she is today.

My Junior year in high school, I had a US History teacher and she was just amazing. She had been teaching for close to 40 years and you could tell that she loved to teach. She inspired me everyday that I was in her class and she really pushed me to become a teacher,” said Madeline.

Having a history teacher be the influence on Madeline really helped her want to pursue more and more into the line of teaching that subject; however, she had her own way of describing why she wanted to become a teacher.

She told me, “I have two reasons. First off, I absolutely love history and I love to talk about history. My second reason is that there is an idea that history is boring and I want to show my students that history is actually really exciting.”

That statement really stood out to me because it had a very true meaning to it. Many people, including myself, believe that history is a dull and boring subject; however, with the right teacher, the subject can be transformed into something bright and amusing. Similar to Madeline, Mr. Barnett and Mr. Wilson have that technique where they can make history a subject worth studying more and more.

Now, of course Madeline is really devoted in her work, but she has certain things she loves to do outside of teaching. She loves to read books and teach dance. Personally, I didn’t get the chance to have Madeline be my teacher because I was in Mr. Barnett’s class the first semester; however, I always see her in the hallway, and she is the friendliest young lady I have met. She always gives everyone a friendly smile and a welcoming ‘Hi’ when either walking past in the hallways or entering her room.

Madeline’s last day at Lewis Cass is April 19th so if anyone reading this gets a free moment, go stop in and say hello. I am sure she would love to meet new people, and maybe if you are wanting to pursue a teaching career, you could ask her for advice!

8 Responses to “An Upcoming Teacher: Madeline Winterhalter”

1. Lauren Hileman on April 12th, 2019 7:57 am

This is a very well written article! I want to become a teacher, and I completely agreed with the point that the right teacher can really influence you. All the quotes and voice used in the article really spoke to me. Nice job.

2. Robert Fitch III on April 17th, 2019 1:06 pm

Great article Ashi!! I understand where she is coming from on making an impact. A lot of jobs are impacting and are meaningful like you said. You always can impact someone in your life just by being nice to them. Great story and keep up the great writing!!

3. Savannah Archer on April 17th, 2019 1:49 pm

Wow! I didn’t know how close it was to the time we’d see her go. It kind of seems like we didn’t have her much. I know she has aspirations other than teaching. If I remember correctly, she said she was Western’s guard director, well for around winter winds time anyway. I think I might miss her, as well as many other students too. I just hope I get to see her pursuing her goal, which is to become a teacher.

Great job, might I add.

4. Edward Prince on April 17th, 2019 1:51 pm

We will miss her as a teacher, she is going to be a great Social Studies teacher one day. This article makes me think how today was her last day teaching us and how she is not coming back after next Thursday. This article was very well written not just in how you punctuated in what Madeline said, but how you got in depth on how everyone had a dream to do or be something or someone when they get older and that is very touching. Great job!!!!! I enjoyed the article.

5. Jenna Roeske on April 17th, 2019 1:53 pm

This article is very inspiring for those who want to be a teacher. It was explained very well how Madeline was inspired by others and how she wants to inspire people. This was a very well written article.

6. Kadence Miller on April 17th, 2019 1:55 pm

I really enjoyed this article. I have Mrs. Winterhalter for social studies, and she always comes up with fun ways to learn. Keep up the good work

7. Josh Vandeburg on April 17th, 2019 1:57 pm

I strongly agree that the teacher affects the students as much as the material does, and Mr. Barnett and Miss Winterhalter definitely have the right technique to make things fun to learn.

8. Savannah Haseltine on April 17th, 2019 2:00 pm

I love this article. Ms. Winterhalter is a good teacher, despite still technically being a student. I love having her as a teacher, and I’ll miss her when she leaves.

*

• An Upcoming Teacher: Madeline Winterhalter

The Freeze is Finally Open

Exploring the Virtual Kidnapping Scam

Mirage

The Refinery adds Fun to Kokomo!

Flying Through my Journey

The celebration of Groundhog Day

Pep Club is not Working

One Last Go Around

A Legacy That Will Last Forever

Big Kings Little Kings: Mentoring the Young