Filed under Features

Every 15 Minutes

In America somebody dies every 15 minutes due to distracted driving. On April 15, 2019, a mock car crash took place at Western High School; this mock car crash was a part of the “Every 15 Minutes Program” and was put together to teach an important lesson. This two-day program mainly focuses on high school juniors and seniors and teaches students responsibility when it comes to driving.  The event was held to bring attention to the dangerous consequences that come with distracted driving. Emergency crews worked along the students to make the car accident appear as realistic as possible. The intent of this experience was to show students that car accidents don’t affect just the victims; they affect everyone connected to the victims or the crash.

A few of the students involved in the demonstration were removed from a wrecked vehicle or loaded onto a stretcher. Some students were even loaded into an ambulance to give the full effect. The mock car crash wasn’t the only part of the program; students were taken out in fifteen minute intervals to write their own obituaries. After these were written, they were displayed for every other student to see. This strategy was meant to open the eyes of every student and show just how dangerous distracted driving can be. Some people think “distracted driving” means the driver was intoxicated, but another main distraction evident in many situations today is a cell phone. A phone is one of the most distracting items and can be the cause of numerous car accidents. Students learned the importance of putting a phone away when driving because decisions made behind the wheel affect everyone around the driver.

In a Kokomo Tribune article, student Brooke Fortune stated that one of the lessons she took from this experience was that “it’s not worth whatever you’re deciding to do in that moment other than pay attention to the road.”

This program delivers a very important message to everyone. I think I can speak for everyone in my community when I say that car accidents have had a drastic impact on members of this community. Accidents that could have been prevented have taken the lives of multiple people, and these accidents have left a lasting effect on the friends and families of these victims. I believe this program would be a great experience for not only every student but also every driver. Something needs to be done with the distracted driving that affects everyone on the road.        

Lewis Cass has hosted programs to prevent distracted driving in the past. Mr. Bates is currently working with Mrs. Birnell, the SADD sponsor, to set up something like this for next school year. Hopefully the program next year will be impactful among the students.

7 Responses to “Every 15 Minutes”

1. Brooklynn Fye on April 23rd, 2019 8:01 am

This is a great article to open the eyes of our youth today. I have taken part in one of these mock accidents, and I can truly say it shows kids the aftermath that is never talked about. You did a great job explaining what takes place during this event and how it can help kids. Keep writing!

2. HannaH Cicalo on April 23rd, 2019 11:30 am

This article was not only well written but impacting. Distracted driving is a serious issue and this article helps show that.

3. Edward Prince on April 24th, 2019 1:17 pm

This article is a real smack of the truth and what goes on in society. It nice to know that people are so distracted on the road. That makes me low-key scared to drive when I get older. I appreciate the information. Good article.

4. Lauren Johnson on April 24th, 2019 1:20 pm

This article was very impactful. I’m glad that we are working on getting a demonstration like this at Cass. I’ve seen one of these mock car accidents before and it was very thought provoking.

5. Madison Townsend on April 24th, 2019 1:22 pm

I think it would be great if we had something like this at school. It’s good to open the eyes of all the students at school because lots of people tend to think that things like that would never happen to them, so thank you for sharing this with everyone.

6. Kaitlyn Harris on April 24th, 2019 1:24 pm

This is a great article! It is a very serious topic and I think this article is very eye opening and shows what distracted driving can really do and shows the affects of it also. Keep up the great work!

7. Uriah Riemenschneider on April 26th, 2019 12:13 pm

I think this article is something everyone should read. It is a very eye opening thing that can show people just how dangerous driving distracted can be. It uses a lot of pathos in it due to the recent events in our community. Keep up the good work!

*

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Review of the May Concert

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

A day filled with fun

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

First Year Experience

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Farvel America

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

A Surprise in my Genius Hour

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Preparing for the tests

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

One Last Playlist

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Spring Play Review

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Traditions become Legendary: History of Lewis Cass Kings

• Every 15 Minutes

Features

Career Fair

Every 15 Minutes