Career Fair

Career Fair

Students trying to answer questions on their bingo cards

Students at Lewis Cass High School had the great opportunity to visit the career fair and explore different possibilities for their futures. The career fair was held in the new gymnasium on Thursday, April 18, and 46 booths were set up throughout the gym to allow for a variety of different jobs. This event allowed students to learn more information about careers they may want to pursue in the future and great ways to prepare for these jobs. Many students received some valuable information about what their futures may hold.

One example of a career presented at the fair is photography. A booth was set up for Mike Wise Photography for students to learn more about what goes into taking the photos. Junior Alma Gonzalez learned more about how the photos are developed and the prices. She noted, “I liked the information he gave us because I am really thinking of getting my senior pictures with them now.” This booth gave a great insight into the creativity and hard work a photographer puts into his work.

Multiple jobs in the medical field had stations set up. An example of one of these jobs is physical therapy. Michelle Nicholson, a physical therapist at Community Howard Specialty Hospital, talked to the students about her job. Seniors Brannyn Spencer and Alex Myers spoke to Nicholson and learned more about her career. Brannyn stated, “She explained different workouts she uses with her patients.” One of the exercises that was demonstrated helps patients with balance and leg strength. Alex added, “She started out as a physical therapist, but she turned into a lymphedema therapist because she had to get training for a specific client of theirs with breast cancer.” This provides an example of how some people follow follow different career paths than they originally planned. New opportunities can come up and motivate someone to find a better suited or more enjoyable career.

Students were given a bingo card that included questions to ask the adults at their booths. This provided ideas for questions that students may ask about possible jobs to have in the future, and it allowed students to learn more about the preparation and hard work that comes with each career. Some of the questions asked the hardest part about a career or what someone enjoys most about his job. After she was asked about her career, Sally Young, athletic trainer at Lewis Cass, replied, “There’s never a dull moment, something different every day.”

Another career that some students learned about was teaching. The Little Kings Preschool teachers had a booth set up, and other teachers were at the career fair also. Carl Burrous, a junior at Lewis Cass, noted, “I talked with Dr. Garland and was given an in-depth explanation of the hiring process for teachers, as well as a document containing salary information with various occupations at the school.”

Some students may have felt that the career fair wasn’t beneficial, but others may have earned a lot of valuable information. Even if a student didn’t see a booth set up for his future career, he still could have learned about different jobs to expand his knowledge about all the different possibilities. Ben Vandeburg, a junior at Cass, spoke to an architect even though he is thinking about becoming an engineering technician. After he talked with the architect, he learned how the careers are actually related. He said his decision to speak to the architect was “actually beneficial to my knowledge and met the point of the career fair.”

The career fair was a great opportunity for all students to have a better understanding of their future careers and the preparation for these careers. A big variety of careers also allowed for students to learn about careers they may not have considered. Tim Garland, superintendent of Lewis Cass, stated, “This event allows our students to broaden their knowledge in career fields that represent our community and beyond.”   

Ally Carden posing with her mom who is a nurse practitioner

Ashli Key posing with a snake from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources