The Teacher that Changed Everything for Me

Picking my impact teacher was extremely difficult. I have had so many amazing teachers who have not only impacted my past and my present but my future as well. They’ve either helped me decide what I wanted to do, or they have helped me realize what I didn’t want to do. Not only that, but they’ve also been there for me through high school.

I’ve always struggled in English a little more than my other classes just because it didn’t come as easily. However, I have always had a love for writing. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love to write. Growing up, I used to write silly little poems or song lyrics all the time, but it wasn’t much more than that. It was just a way for me to get my feelings out onto the paper which ironically I still do almost everyday whether I’m writing for the King’s Courier or I’m just journaling at home. I never really was good at expressing my feelings orally, so I did it through my writing. I never really thought much about going into writing or that I was ever really that good at it due to my lack in grammar, but I had one teacher that changed that all for me: Mr. Engle.

I joined Mr. Engle’s newspaper class my sophomore year, which was a rough year. My classes were becoming harder, and I was having trouble focusing in some classes because I was going through the typical teenage stuff such as heartbreak, uncertainty, and, of course, I was looking for that acceptance. But when I was able to write, all of that went away whether I was writing about what I was feeling or writing a feature about the school. It helped me focus on what was really important: my grades. Mr. Engle probably didn’t realize that he was also giving me the boost of confidence I needed. I definitely struggled with my comma rules during this time (and I still do), but he was patient with me when it came to correcting my writing. It was as if he saw the potential in me that I had been searching for all this time. He gave me the reassurance I needed when I didn’t know whether a piece was as good as I thought. I’ve grown up with a younger brother who is extremely talented so I longed to find something I could do that he couldn’t. And, with Mr. Engle’s newspaper class, I found that.

Next year I’m going into elementary education. Many people have called me crazy for this, but the teachers I’ve had growing up have influenced me. They’ve left a positive impact in my life to the point I want to give another student that same thing. However, along with my major in education, I’m also going to minor in creative writing. I would’ve never even considered this thought if it weren’t for Mr. Engle not only giving me the reassurance I needed but also giving me the idea.

My junior year, Mr. Engle approached me about a scholarship and a workshop over the summer for students. To know that Mr. Engle thought I was skilled enough to even apply made me feel as if I could do anything. It also got me to thinking that I’d definitely be interested in writing after high school. He’s the reason I plan to minor in creative writing. Mr. Engle helped me not only love writing more, but he helped me see what I could do with my writing. Over the past three years, I’ve written several different articles all of them different, but one thing they all had in common was that they impacted a life whether it was mine or another students’.

Mr. Engle, if it weren’t for your reassuring words or your encouraging attitude, I wouldn’t be the person I am today, and for that, I will forever be thankful. High school wouldn’t have been the same without your guidance.

Josephine Woolever

1 Comment

One Response to “The Teacher that Changed Everything for Me”

1. Brannyn Spencer on May 15th, 2019 9:39 am

I like how you explained your reasons for going into elementary education. It is amazing how Mr. Engle has impacted you and your writing skills to the point you are minoring in creative writing. Good luck in the future. This is a great article Josie.

*

• The Teacher that Changed Everything for Me

Impact Teachers

Mike Appleton in a nutshell

Showcase

Kings’ Courier staff sets records

Sports

Track Sectionals Result and Regionals Preview

Sports

Tracc Pupz get trapped!

Features

A day filled with fun

Features

First Year Experience

The end of a chapter

Making New Memories Through Career Center

Features

Farvel America

My Final Farewell