Review of the May Concert

Review of the May Concert

Left to Right: Savannah Sturdivant, Paige Buettner, Katelyn Schreckenghaust

The Lewis Cass High School Band performed the May concert this past Friday. Not only was this the last concert for the seniors, but this was also the last concert at Lewis Cass for Mr. Muth, the high school band director. Mr. Muth has accepted a new job at Westfield, so his last day at Lewis Cass will be the day of graduation. He wanted his last concert here to be a fun and memorable one, so the band played a variety of upbeat Motown songs.

The band performed four pieces at this concert. “Motown Revue” was a combination of three different songs: “Heard It Through The Grapevine,” “My Girl,” and “ABC.” The second piece was titled “Reach Out, I’ll Be There.” The third piece was a combination of three songs by Aretha Franklin: “Respect,” “Natural Woman,” and “Think.” The fourth and final piece was titled “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” Each piece was very fun and upbeat, and the band had a great time performing this concert.

Mr. Muth also presented a variety of awards at this concert to wrap up this year. The first type of awards handed out were awards for this past marching season. Each section had a member chosen for an “Outstanding” award, and each grade level had two members chosen for another “Outstanding” award. The “Outstanding Flute” award went to Katelyn Schreckenghaust. The “Outstanding Clarinet” award went to Arrianna Martinez. The “Outstanding Saxophone” award went to Bryce Reish. The “Outstanding Trumpet” award went to Kelsey Roller. The “Outstanding Low Brass” award went to Ben Carpenter.  

The seniors were also voted on for a variety of senior awards. Braden Hill received the “Stan Salle Leadership Award.” Ben Carpenter received the “Mark Winters Memorial Award.” McKenna Wolf and Hollie Slater both received the “Arion Band Award.” Braden Hill also received the “Terry Collins Service Award.” Arrianna Martinez received the “John Philip Sousa Band Award.” Bryce Reish received the “Louis Armstrong Jazz Band Award.” Ben Carpenter also received the “Gangloff Memorial Scholarship.”

The “Outstanding Freshman Musicians” awards went to Earl Forsythe and Jacquelyn Swanson. The “Outstanding Sophomore Musicians” awards went to Jordan Henry and Blake Brown. The “Outstanding Junior Musicians” awards went to Conner Claypool and Lauren Hileman.

Band letters can also be awarded for the accumulation of points for band involvement. The following students received their first band letters at the concert: Jordan Henry, Blake Brown, Jackie Wiles, Gracie Collins, Tyler Grandstaff, Riley Keppel, Natalia Martin, Devin Rector, Aliya Cook, Jacob Jordan, Chai Spencer, Malori Mullens, Emily Lewis, Alex Myers, and Tate Robertson. The following students received their second band letters: Conner Claypool, Lauren Hileman, Kieran Claypool, Hallie Diaz, Braden Hill, Hollie Slater, Gabby Fred, and McKenna Wolf.

The night was very eventful and emotional for many. Mr. Muth gave a touching performance himself as he sang the song “For Good” from the musical Wicked as a tribute and gift for the band students. The band had a great night overall, and I’m glad that the seniors and Mr. Muth had a great final concert here at Lewis Cass!