8th Grade STEM Project Kickoff

8th Grade STEM Project Kickoff

Mrs. Rush and Mrs. Birnell setting up for the STEM presentation.

Have you thought of building Noah’s Ark? The 8th grade STEM program is doing just that. The main project will begin in January of 2020. Students in the program will be taking field trips throughout the year to learn how people used boats in the 1800s. This correlates to the goal of the project. Students will understand the driving question, “How have Americans used engineering and natural resources to improve westward improvement?” The students must build a boat that will set sail before summer break.

Students will take a field trip to Mississinewa in September to learn more about the background of the STEM project. In October, teams of four will build mini boats out of recyclables to hold as much mass as possible. The final step will be a relay race in the pool. Each student will learn valuable information regarding the history of the project and must create an elaborate boat to keep themselves afloat. These small projects are based on education to learn about transportation in the 1800s and lead into a huge project in the spring when all students will participate. In the second semester of school, students will put their education into action as they focus on the process of transportation. Students will build a flat boat similar to the ones in the 1800s. Those boats held animals, supplies, and people to travel around rivers and lakes. 

The 8th grade students before the huge project reveal.

Before creating the large boat, students must come up with a name and a t-shirt design. The plans of the boat will be digitally made with CAD. In order to participate in this project, students must keep their behavior in check during class. On field trips, students should represent Lewis Cass in a respectable manner. Mr. Barnett, Mrs. Sites, Mrs. Rush, and Mrs. Birnell will video the construction and put together a time lapse for the launch of the Noah’s Ark look alike. Students will launch at Mississinewa in May 2020 and join together for a huge summer cookout. This STEM project is unbelievable and especially remarkable.