Red for Ed

Red for Ed

Thousands of Indiana teachers gathered on November 19 at the Indiana Statehouse to fight for better pay and other rights. This protest included so many teachers that more than half of the school districts in Indiana were closed that day due to the large number of substitute teachers that would have been needed. The teachers attending this rally were fighting for more respect for their students and better pay, because many teachers need more than one job to support their families. As a part of the rally, the teachers made various signs, wore red clothing, and protested to bring attention to the needs of the teachers and their families. 

According to an article from IndyStar, one of the goals of the Indiana State Teachers Association includes repealing a mandate that lawmakers passed last year. This mandate states that teachers must complete 15 hours of professional development in the workforce in order to renew their licenses. The ISTA also wants to hold teachers and schools harmless from negative state test results. The teachers also included that they aren’t receiving enough funds to provide for their students, and many teachers use their own money to buy necessary supplies for their students. These teachers don’t care just about their salaries; they care about the funding needed to support and teach their students. 

According to an article from The Times of Northwest Indiana, the state of Indiana has the lowest amount of teacher salary increases and spends the least amount of money on the students when compared to neighboring states. Indiana also has a push to value private schools more than public schools. However, these facts don’t stop Indiana teachers from fighting for more rights because they care about their students and want the best educational experiences for them. 

People hold protests to express objections to specific events or actions, and these protests can be put together with either small or big groups. Teachers have the right to peacefully protest this manner that affects their everyday lives and the rights of their students. Teachers have contacted elected officials through email and letters, and they have held rallies and parades even before the big protest on November 19th. Some teachers even arranged meetings with these officials, but most of these efforts were ignored. However, the protest on November 19th had an important effect. Teachers are finally starting to be heard, and we can only hope that changes will be made.