Winds Members Prepare for First Competition

The flute quartet received a gold rating.

The band members performed at District Solo and Ensemble this past Saturday. Many students took a solo this year, and various ensembles performed also. Students ranging from sixth graders to seniors all put a lot of work into their pieces, and the band had some great results. This event allows students to represent the talent and hard work that was put into each piece of music, and the practice allows students to become better musicians by practicing more difficult music. Leading up to the performance day, students practice the music on their own and with band directors, and the performance is held in front of a judge. Many ensembles and solos received gold and silver medals, so this weekend was pretty successful. Also, those receiving gold in group one music will advance onto state on February 29th. The events advancing onto state include twelve solos, the french horn quartet, and the brass choir. The following students are advancing to state: Aliya Cook, Avian Roberts, Blake Brown, Brooks Hensley, Conner Claypool, Devin Rector, Elli Jones, Hailee Boehme, Jackie Wiles, Jacob Jordan, Jayla Thomas, Jerett Shupperd, Jesse Morgan, Jordan Henry, Katelyn Schreckenghaust, Kelsey Roller, Kieran Claypool, Lauren Hileman, Leah Willison, Madison Townsend, Natascha Haseltine, Nevaeh Gordon, Riley Keppel, and Tyler Grandstaff.  

This past weekend was pretty eventful for the band, and this upcoming weekend is also very important. The winter winds members are performing at the first competition of the season on Saturday, February 15th. The students have been putting a lot of hard work into this show so far and have learned the drill and music for the first two parts of the show. Beginning the competitions will help students listen to comments from judges and improve the details of the show while also adding the rest of the show eventually. The students have also been putting in as much practice as possible which may become difficult with the amount of kids becoming sick, and Mr. Long has helped the band greatly even through the difficulties of sick kids and bad weather. He even worked out a way for the band members to have the opportunity to attend the SADD dance after the competition, so the band students have a very eventful weekend ahead of them.  

I’m excited to see how the first competition goes and how the rest of the season follows. The competition takes place at Franklin Central High School, and the students would love to have your support! If anyone would like to come watch the band perform, the address for the school is 6215 S Franklin Rd, Indianapolis, IN. Also, the band will be the first to perform at this competition.