Not Playing in the Snow

While driving down the street, the driver feels a sudden thud. Children are playfully throwing snowballs at the car. Even though the majority of the snow misfires and lands on the other side of the road, it is clear that the snow is perfect for a snowball fight. The urge to hop out of the car and win this fight is overwhelming, but the eager kids become tiny in the rearview mirror. 

Most people think of snow days from the view of the children, but my snow days have become very different. I was once one of those kids, not having a care in the world and just enjoying the magical day. I used to play games and have snowball fights with my brother, but those days seem so far behind me. 

Now, my days continue as if I still attend school. The amount of work for each class varies. Teachers are supposed to assign enough work to fill a normal forty-five minute class period. One class can take ten minutes, but another class can take three hours. 

Clara, a sophomore at Lewis Cass, says, “E-Learning days stress me out crazily. Some days are easier than others, but most of the time it’s just a day full of work. I may have to spend up to two hours doing homework for each class. I have assignments from previous days to finish and now an abundance of work too. Also, if your parents are anything like mine, they see this day as a great day for you to spring clean the whole house and become their personal maid. So now on top of all of the work, we have to clean, and any other responsibilities, such as a job, that students have to accomplish. Another problem is that teachers sometimes make assignments due by the end of the class or school without any warning. If I know that I don’t have to wake up at 5 for school, then I may be waking up closer to 10 or 11 if my mom lets me. When I get onto my computer, I suddenly have a 1000 word essay due in 2 hours. E-learning days are just insanely stressful and need to be modified.”

Even though e-learning days can be stressful, sometimes they can be relaxing. The days can be super difficult, but sometimes the work seems to be less than usual. When the work is easier, I normally hop back into bed and do my assignments in my bed. I often listen to music while I do the easy assignments.

Hannah Plauschin, another sophomore at Lewis Cass, said, “Although e-learning can be overwhelming and irritating, there are many benefits. I greatly appreciate being able to stay at home in bed, wear comfy, fuzzy pajamas, and drink hot chocolate whenever I please. Something about staying in my bed and taking tests is just relieving and satisfying. E-learning days are like being at school without all of the uncomfortable chairs, passing periods, constant temperature changes, asking to go to the restroom, teachers, waking up early, ringing bells, and other daily annoyances.”

Some students ignore e-learning days altogether. This can be problematic because if the percentage of students who turn in their assignments is too low, the school will have to make up the day anyway. This would not be fair to the students that actually did their work.

The amount of happiness during e-learning days depends on the amount and the difficulty of the assignments. These days are often stressful and contain more work than a regular day of school. E-learning days are rarely relaxing, but when they come, students need to cherish them. If e-learning was not available, schools would have to make up the days during the summer. I would rather spend these days stressing in my own home and not go to school in the summer. Even though I used to love cancellations, I would not go back to the good old days.