Annual Blood Drive

Lewis Cass will be holding the annual blood drive on Thursday, March 12, from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. Lewis Cass partners with American Red Cross to bring this great opportunity to the school every year, so many students have the ability to donate blood and save lives. Mrs. Sipe and Mrs. Bower are helping organize students’ appointments and prepare for this day, and this event holds great importance to numerous people in need. The goal for the blood drive this year is 60 pints of blood, and I really hope we can reach this goal.

According to redcrossblood.org, approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the United States, and about 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed every day. Also, one donation may not seem like a lot, but one donation of blood can potentially save three lives. Therefore, donating blood is very important and can benefit so many patients in need. Not everybody is able to donate blood, but those who can have the ability to help in great ways.

Mrs. Swanson no longer helps with the blood drive, but she has helped for numerous years. When asked about the event, Swanson commented, “I believe donating blood is one of the most honest gifts a person can give, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of it.” She loved helping students through the fear of the process, and she really enjoyed that students feel that donating blood is a great experience. The whole event is one of Swanson’s favorite experiences at the school. When I donated blood for the first time, I really appreciated having Mrs. Swanson there to help calm my nerves.        

I plan on donating blood on Thursday because I have for the past two years, and I really enjoy being able to help others. Also, students that donate blood three times will have the opportunity to wear red cords at graduation. I believe that the annual blood drive is one of the most important events that come to Lewis Cass, and I’m so glad that students are given the opportunities to help those in need. If you would like to donate blood on Thursday, contact Mrs. Bower or Mrs. Sipe to set up an appointment and fill out a parental consent form if you’re younger than 18 years old. Students must be at least 16 years old with parental consent to qualify for donating blood.