Mr. Quick: My Impact Teacher

I would not categorize myself as a “strong” guy. When teachers asked for help moving heavy objects, I remained seated. I’d like to say Mr. Quick molded me into the mountain of a man I am today, but I probably will pass out before I end this sentence. I was under the tutelage of Quick for two years, active for one and a quarter. Through these years, he accomplished a feat that many teachers before him abandoned: tolerating me during class. This is no simple feat. I am aware of my habit of talking excessively and attempting to create arguments out of thin air. Mr. Quick not only tolerated it, but he also embraced it. I would’ve never imagined my most mentally stimulating class would be weights, but Mr. Quick is a worthy adversary in any argument. 

Sports are a great stress reliever. I would’ve been a three-sport athlete for the totality of my high school career, but injuries kept me from the sports and teammates I grew to love. Through my setbacks, Mr. Quick always listened and walked me through my recovery. I tore my ACL sophomore year; my junior year I took my first weights class. I don’t think it was a coincidence that my times dropped dramatically. When my syncope episodes began, Quick made me feel included in class I couldn’t participate. Our daily arguments provided a great distraction from a part of my life I could no longer involve myself. So, thank you for that Mr. Quick. 

The key to a great teacher is a passion for their craft. Upon first talking to Mr. Quick, I noticed his love for his field and desire to better our student body. His passion for his craft is evident. Students are able to come to him for their dieting and recovery problems. They come to him because he lives what he preaches. He drinks mushroom coffee because of the health benefits, not the taste. He frequently sits through video conferences with other strength coaches to provide the students with the best answers. Mr. Quick is a lifelong pupil and always attempting to further his understanding in his field. He has an open door for every student seeking advice. In my opinion, this is the precedent that an impact teacher should set.