Meeting with Zoom

Recently, many students across the nation have utilized the Zoom Video Communications app. It allows students, professors, and friends to connect with each other through their digital screen. Zoom’s unique ability to share screens allows teachers to share their instructions or videos. I joined a Zoom meeting with my CEO class last Monday morning, and twenty of us joined the call. Fortunately, Zoom allows meetings of up to 100 participants, and up to 500 with an add-on. The only downside of Zoom is the 40 minute time limit. Most people can override this by simply rejoining a meeting, or creating a new one.

Zoom is not only for business, but it allows anyone to meet and conversate. I joined a call with five of my friends a few weeks ago to play games online. We restarted our meeting five times, but we definitely enjoyed ourselves. The screen sharing ability allowed us to see the leader’s instructions in real time with no disruptions. My favorite part about Zoom is that four people are visible at one time and three if a screen is shared. The high quality pictures are clear, and the lag is almost nonexistent. Zoom also allows users to join a meeting from their phones. This lets people join calls on the road, in a rush, and with no computer. Mobile zoom calls provide no video similar to a regular phone call. In this portion of Zoom, I prefer regular phone calls. 

I prefer Zoom meetings instead of traditional Google Hangouts or Skype because it is easily accessible and convenient. It reminds me of Netflix’s Party option where participants can view the screen and still communicate with friends or colleagues. However, a Zoom meeting without a password is dangerous. Zoom “bombing” is “a disruption specific to the teleconferencing app,” said David Morris at Fortune. Some hosts choose not to use a password for easier accessibility to students. This leaves the meeting vulnerable to let anyone into the meeting. I have seen multiple people joining random calls only to leave offensive images and disrupt the call completely. Many universities have used Zoom for the past few weeks while classes resume. On the contrary, the app came out in 2011. I found out about the app from Twitter and knew nothing about it. 

Lewis Cass started their e-learning this week, and I’m eager to know if Zoom will be used. In Mr. Carlton’s government class, students are participating in a presidential campaign. A debate on Zoom would be quite interesting, especially with an audience. I’m questioning whether teachers will utilize Zoom meetings in their classrooms. I think Zoom meetings are beneficial for most AP classes such as English, Chemistry, and Calculus because teachers can share their steps to solve problems, fix issues, or display changes in the schedules. AP exams were modified this month to fit students’ new challenges, and a shared screen could help students navigate their new options for their respective test. 

I think Zoom can be used for classrooms to meet with their students when needed. It lets everyone connect face to face but is not essential for an everyday meeting. The next few weeks I imagine will involve a few Zoom meetings, especially in those Calculus and English classes. If you haven’t used it yet, try connecting with a few friends here.