The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Since many people are stuck at home every day during quarantine, many people have turned to Netflix or other streaming services to fill up some free time. I’ve watched my fair share of movies and shows during this time, but I recently watched a movie called The Perks of Being a Wallflower and really enjoyed it. The movie is available on Netflix and is a great movie in my opinion.

The movie focuses on main character Charlie as he represents his struggles with depression and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Charlie is a freshman in high school and reveals that his best friend recently committed suicide, so he struggles to find himself and deal with his feelings. Experiencing high school by himself, he eventually meets two students and a teacher that completely change his outlook on life. Sam and her stepbrother Patrick take Charlie into their group and quickly become close friends with him. As Charlie spends more time with Sam and Patrick, he experiences joy again and even explores his first real love. Charlie’s English teacher Mr. Anderson notices something special in Charlie, and he encourages him to explore his passion for reading and writing throughout the movie. Mr. Anderson serves as another important character that held great influence over Charlie’s journey to overcome his struggles and find happiness again. 

I really enjoyed this movie because it represented the impact that friends and other mentors have on one’s life. Charlie’s friends helped him through some of the hardest times and helped him deal with his internal struggles after his traumatic experience. One scene that I really enjoyed occurred when Charlie, Sam, and Patrick are driving through a tunnel and listening to a certain song. Charlie stands up in the back of the truck and feels the wind against him, and I felt that it represented him finally finding himself and making his way back to happiness. This was just one of many scenes that displayed how Charlie was becoming happier and forming a special bond with Sam and Patrick.    

This movie served as a very heartwarming representation of personal struggles that numerous people deal with every day, and it also represented how others can have great impacts on one’s life. The movie is rated PG-13 for drug and alcohol use, mature thematic material, sexual content, and a fight scene. I definitely recommend this movie to anyone trying to find something new to watch and to anyone who enjoys meaningful, heartwarming movies.