Impact Teacher- Mr. Carlton

My favorite quote through high school has been “getting the most out of life isn’t what you keep for yourself but rather what you pour into others.” This quote is written at the front of my bible with a list of names of people who have helped shape me into the person I am today. However, this list wouldn’t be complete if it didn’t include Mr. Carlton. I have only been a student and athlete of Carlton’s for two years, but I can’t even begin to describe how much he has “poured” into my life. Mr. Carlton has not only been my teacher and coach, but rather he is a very inspiring role model to me. 

As for coaching, Mr. Carlton’s dedication level is higher than any other coach I have ever had. He has pushed me to become not only a better athlete but pushed me to become a better person. Unlike most coaches, he never lets hard work go unnoticed. He is always on top of his athletes letting them know how proud he is of them. He always wanted to make me better; he even tried to send me a 27 page article about how to improve my sprints. However, jokes on him because it’s three months later and I still haven’t read it. What puts him above other coaches though is the fact he doesn’t just care about my grades and my athletics but instead about my attitude, my life goals, and most importantly my relationship with Christ. I really couldn’t have asked for a better coach to help shape me into a great athlete but also always remember to catch me when I stumble in life. 

As for teaching, I always enjoyed his class. He understood that I loved to be the center of attention and made sure I always got some type of attention from the class…although it happened to be embarrassing most of the time. He may have taught me a little bit about government but more importantly, he taught me how to make choices; no I’m not talking about economics but rather his choices were an example to me. Mr. Carlton could never decide what mood he wanted to be in during the school day so he was known as the “moody” teacher. However, I never saw him as moody because seeing him grumpy was just a laughing matter to me. Then I realized, I never say it because I’m worse than the grump himself. 

Between teaching and coaching, Mr. Carlton had to deal with me, what felt like all the time. Although he didn’t mind it…I sure did. I had several students tell me I sound like Mr. Carlton when I talk which is when I knew I was in trouble. Although I’m just kidding, I did start to talk like him and spend so much time with him I would always talk about him to my parents and friends. I’m sure my mom got sick of hearing “Carlton said” or “today Carlton.” However, I wouldn’t change this because becoming more like Mr. Carlton is more of an honor rather than a crime to me. 

Mr. Carlton never hesitated to go the extra mile for me or take the time out of his day to talk to me. I knew if I needed anything such as a chaperone for the dance, a guy to pie in the face, or someone to do an embarrassing tik tok dance with, I could go to him. Although he didn’t want to do these things, I would like to think he couldn’t say no to me. I could talk to him about anything and eventually, after judging me he would help me work through my problems. I will forever be grateful for the two years of high school I spent dealing with his sassiness and his attitude. Although he spent his time calling me dramatic, bossy, sassy, and extra, I know he will miss having me around to pester him as much as I will miss calling him my boss. So I just wanted to take the time to simply say thank you. Thank you for shaping me into the person I am, thank you for pushing me to do my best in all I do, and thank you for always believing in me. 

-YOUR BOSS, McKayla Thompson