Kokomo CEO Program

Kokomo CEO Program

The Kokomo CEO program is an entrepreneurial class that teaches through experience. Students learn valuable skills such as creativity, leadership, encouragement, and of course, how to become entrepreneurial thinkers. The students meet 3-4 days a week, for 90 minutes a day. On their days off, the students are all working on their current projects. They are able to meet in many different places throughout the year. This helps them establish a common identity based on their CEO experience. Each day students are learning from different businesses around the Kokomo area or working on their own new ideas. These hands-on experiences give students the opportunity to take risks, manage the results, and learn from the outcomes.

In order to become a part of this class, students must submit a written request, gather letters of recommendation, and complete an entrepreneurial profile. Nineteen students were chosen for the program this year, including two of our very own Lewis Cass students, Liberty Scott and Keaton Lewellen. I was fortunate enough to be able to interview Liberty to gather more information on the program as well as her own opinion on it. She loves that it’s a new take on learning. “Having the opportunity to meet the most interesting people in Kokomo, and building business relationships with them is really incredible,” she says. Not only do the students in the class get to learn all about a possible future career choice, but they get to see so many different people living out that life as well. This month alone, the students have learned from entrepreneurs such as Greg Reed, Ashlie Miller and the Hoosier Steaks team, the owners of PlayPros INKY, and so many more. This gives students the chance to see the wide range of options available for their future endeavors.

As for current student projects, Liberty says they’re finishing up their most recent project, turning $5 into $500. The program is hosting a bake sale at Kokomo’s RiverWalk concert. She was able to lead the group in charge of doing the planning for the bake sale. She created a business plan for this project and has been working with her group to make it come to life these past few weeks. She’s “very excited to see how the bake sale turns out,” and so is the community. Her favorite part about finishing up projects like this one is seeing all her hard work and dedication pay off in the end. If you’re interested in supporting the CEO program, their bake sale is this Saturday, October 1st. The RiverWalk Concert Series kicks off at 5pm behind the Foxes Trail in Kokomo!

If you’re interested in joining a community of people all interested in becoming an entrepreneur, hands-on learning, and getting class credits, the Kokomo CEO program might be the right fit for you. In order to apply for the next school year, you can request more information on their website, www.kokomoceo.com , and fill out their information form to get notified when the student application goes live.