Cass County XC Meet

Cass County XC Meet

The Cass County Cross Country meet took place at Logansport High School on Saturday August 31, 2019. The boys for Cass came in second out of Logansport, Pioneer, and Caston. Logansport has a great boys’ team this year as they won with 33 points. Cass finished with 41, Caston with 57 and Pioneer came in last with 109. The girls won the meet also out of the four county teams with 35 points. Logan came in second for the girls with 42 points, Caston short behind with 49. Pioneer placed last with 105 points.

Bailey Scott led the boys race and ended up winning with a time of 16:53. Bailey has a fantastic three years on the team. Bailey has won all four meets so far this year that he has participated in. After the race Bailey said, “It was a good race and I’m happy I went under 17.” He also stated, “This was the best the team has performed so far this year.” Second for the Kings was senior Juan Simpson. Juan finished seventh overall in the meet and earned a time of 19:38. Sam Miller and Carl Jay came in third and fourth on the team. Sam finished in ninth with a time of 19:51, and Carl came in eleventh with a time of 19:54. Sam who is a senior as well has a had a good three years on the team. Carl has also had a brilliant three years on the high school team. Hunter Mundy came in thirteenth place, who is also part of this superior senior class. Hunter was close to achieving a sub twenty minute time as he ran a time of 20:06. Sixth for the Kings was freshman Enoch Hines. Enoch was the second freshman to cross the finish line with a time of 20:15, which gave him a place of fifteenth. Rounding out the top seven for the Kings was sophomore Seth Brown. Seth had one of his best races of his high school career and is continuing to get better. Seth finished in sixteenth place with a time of 20:19. 

For the girls, Makenna Leicht won the race with a time of 20:58. Makenna is a sophomore who has had a short but brilliant high school career. Makenna is now a two time county champion as young she is. The Lady Kings ran together very well as they achieved the seventh through tenth places, which is very hard to do. Those four runners included senior Baylie Bryan (23:18), junior Delaney Zeck (23:24), freshman Liberty Scott (23:38), and senior Emily Tigler (23:39). This was a very special meet for Baylie and Emily as they won the county meet in all four of their years. All four of these runners had a great meet and pushed each other all the way through. Baylie and Emily have had great careers and are the only varsity seniors on the girls team. Delaney has been very consistent in her first two years. Liberty has been good so far in her first three meets in high school. Kyla Mennen, a junior, finished sixth for the team. She finished twenty first with a time of 25:40. Bella Panmei, who is also a junior, finished twenty second overall with a time of 26:00. 

The boys and girls both have good teams this year. They are both predicted to make it to regionals. Both teams have a similar team build as they have a great number one runner and then have a tight group of about four to six about three minutes behind. Having a tight group of runners really works in a teams favor because they can build up more confidence working as a team, help push each other, and can increase your points as passing people together. If someone has a bad race, then you know you have other runners that can step up. The boys and girls did great and will continue to get better throughout the season.