A New Tradition

A New Tradition

October is always one of the most fun times when it comes around in the year. For some people, October means college football and the start of the NBA season. For others it is flannels, corn mazes, and pumpkin spice lattes. So many fun things continue to be open amid the covid spread.  But with all the other fun things to do during the start of the fall season, the biggest event for the month is the world wide tradition of Halloween. 

Halloween has so many good qualities about it. Halloween can give little kids an opportunity to dress up as their dream superhero or their favorite Disney princess and go trick or treat for their favorite candy. Halloween also is a great reason to have fun themed parties where there can be bobbing for apples or costume contests. Some people tend to like a more scary version of the holiday. Haunted houses, horror movies, and haunted hayrides are always main attractions for those who are looking to scare themselves into the spooky season mood. 

These are just some reasons as to why Halloween is the best day of October. But not only is it a great day, but it also starts all of the holidays leading up to Christmas and New Years Eve. Halloween is the day that starts the whole holiday season. First it is Halloween, then in November, Thanksgiving comes before you can even realize it. Then, in what seems like a few days, all students are released from school to go on Christmas break, which leads to New Years Eve. Halloween is the day that starts the energy of the season. Walking through the halls, every student starts to seem happier and every teacher begins to feel more merry. The way that teachers conduct their classes will change. With events starting to begin, such as Red Ribbon week and the start of winter sports, everything moves faster. Days start to fly by. Monday starts, then Tuesday through Thursday begins to feel like a blur. All of a sudden it is Monday again. 

One event that was specifically special this year was a new tradition. Introduced to the students by the staff and administration this year was during Red Ribbon week.  Trick or treating was something being brought to Cass High School. Normally,  costume dress up day is on Friday. Instead, this year the students were informed that the day for Halloween costumes would be on Thursday. With this change was also the new tradition of trick or treating. The schedule on Thursday was shortened, each class being ten minutes shorter to accommodate the afternoon treat. This was a great thing to bring to the school. The energy, as I talked about before, began to buzz. This caused everyone to be more awake and listen better in class. 

Overall, October has many great aspects. All the events during the month transition perfectly into the other holidays, creating the best time of the year. With trick or treating on Halloween to being released for Christmas break, it is safe to say that everyone can find something to do during this great season.