My Experience

My+Experience

I joined the Lewis Cass cheer team my freshman year. In junior high I always looked up to the older girls so much. The idea of the exciting fans, the band dances, and getting to support the game always left me in awe. From the beginning I knew I wanted to be on the High School cheer team.

In the summer of 2019, I tried out for the Lewis Cass cheer team. Little did I know that I would spend the next four years falling in love with it. Since then I have been on the Varsity cheer team for three years. I have learned a lot from cheer as a person and an athlete. My cheer coaches Nicole Tocco and Jennifer Deeter have been huge role models in my life as well. As a cheerleader you attend games and try to support the team. At the beginning of the game during the starting line-up we do a stunt sequence as the players are announced.

In between quarters we go out as a team and cheer in front of the fans. Sometimes we go in front of the student section and start a crowd involving cheers. Personally, I love cheering and being a positive role model to younger girls. Cheer has brought me a lot of joy over the years. Looking into the crowd and seeing my amazing community come and support a team is something very special.

I have also gained a lot of friendships from cheer as well. In cheer we have a bonding activity called Big sister, little sister. Where an older cheerleader and a younger cheerleader are put together for the whole year. The big sister is there to answer any questions or help with anything that the little sister needs help with. For special games or events, the big sister and little sister both get each other gifts to show their appreciation for them. I think that this has been an amazing way that the team has bonded with each other. I have gained three awesome friendships from this amazing activity.

I also have gotten the opportunity to get to cheer with three of my best friends all four years of high school. I am thankful for every moment and every last I have with them. This year’s seniors are Kyah Preston, Ashlin Collins, Kadence Miller, and Savannah Bowser. I think that we have amazing senior leadership this year and it has affected the team positively. I am so thankful for all of my years of cheer, but I think that this one will hold a special place in my heart.

My last season is officially halfway over and although it breaks my heart, I am thankful for the opportunities I have gotten from the Lewis Cass cheer program.