Boys Basketball Tournament Run


This year’s Lewis Cass boys basketball team has put together a very successful tournament run so far. The Kings started out their postseason at Rochester High School to compete in Sectional 36. Game 1 of sectionals was played against Pioneer High School, which was an opponent that they had beaten earlier in the year. This game was not close. The Kings started off the game hot and never looked back, beating Pioneer by a score of 65-29. Game 2 came against the Rochester Zebras, the hosting team. The game was tied at 15 a piece going into halftime. The home team put together a good third quarter and gave themselves a 5 point lead going into the final quarter of play. But Lewis Cass would not be denied. They pieced together a 27 point 4th quarter and knocked off the Zebras with the final score being 54-43. The Lewis Cass Kings were in the sectional championship for the 3rd consecutive season. The previous two seasons the Kings have lost in heartbreakers by a combined score of 7 points. This year they were determined to make change and finally bring home the championship that they desired. The game was played on Monday, March 6th against the Wabash Apaches. Both fan bases showed out with huge crowds. The game was tied 16 all at halftime and remained close throughout. The two teams each relied on their separate identities. The Kings, a tall athletic team, focused on pounding the ball inside and scoring in the paint. The Apaches on the other hand, were quite the opposite. They rely very heavily on their shooting. Therefore, if their shots are not falling, they struggle to win. Fortunately for them though, they hit a lot of the shots they took. Their three point buckets kept the Apaches in the game, but in the end it was the grit and toughness of the Kings that won the game. Lewis Cass won the game by a score of 61-56 and obtained their first sectional championship in 9 years.


After celebrating the victory on the court with numerous pictures and hugs, the team rode back on the team bus. The bus was accompanied by a police escort all the way back to the school. All of the Lewis Cass fans followed the escort in a very long line of traffic. At one point, even a few firetrucks joined the parade with their sirens blaring and horns honking. When the bus arrived back at the school, the players were welcomed with a celebration in the gym. Many fans had gathered in the stands while the players were announced and Coach Johnson gave a few words to the crowd. Many players also had the opportunity to take more pictures with their families.


Next up for the Kings was the regional championship game at North Judson. Winning a regional was something that has only been accomplished twice before in the history of the school. On Saturday March 11, they made the drive up to North Judson to take on the Bluejays. The first half was another tight game. Going into halftime the score was 15-22 with the Kings trailing. But unfortunately for the Bluejays, the Kings came out of halftime red hot. They scored 26 points in the third quarter to give themselves a 4 point lead heading into the final quarter. North Judson never recovered from that shift in momentum and Lewis Cass came out victorious by a score of 62-51.


The next stop in the Kings tournament run is at Logansport High School where they will play the Wapahani Raiders in the first game of a two game semi-state.