NBA Draft 2020 Review

The NBA is an event I look forward to every year and one of the best nights each year for basketball fans like myself. Usually, the event is held in June but due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, it was moved to this past Wednesday, November 18th. The 2020 draft class is known as a very weak draft class compared to the previous draft classes with the likes of Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, and Luke Doncic. I was still very excited to see where these young basketball players are starting their careers. 

The older I get the more I get used to the players and that has been the case this past couple of years. I remember watching these ballers on Youtube and seeing their highlight clips on my Instagram feed. These guys are now NBA Players. The Minnesota Timberwolves own the number one overall pick and went with the shooting guard out of Georgia Anthony Edwards and no one was surprised with that pick at all. The class didn’t have a census number one pick but if you had to go with anyone it was Edwards. Golden State with the big fella out of Mephis James Wiseman. A very skilled 7’1 Center who can stretch the defensive out and brings great defensive energy out there on the court. 

Now for the pick, everyone was waiting for was Lamelo Ball. The 6’7 Point Guard out of Chino Hills, California, and brother of Lonzo and Liangelo Ball and the son of Lavar Ball. Lamelo in my opinion is the most famous high school basketball of all time. The hype was unreal during his freshman and sophomore years. In his sophomore year at Chino Hills, he dropped 92 points in a high school game. Lamelo soon went over to eastern Europe and played professionally during his junior year then his senior year came back to the states and played for a prep school. Lamelo soon took his shares to the land down under to Australia and played one season there. The 3rd was the Charlotte and they drafted Lamelo Ball to become their next franchise player. 

The Draft Class wasn’t very top-heavy and not many big names comingfrom this class. A couple of picks I liked after the top 3 picks were the Hawks drafting Onyeka Okongwu, The Wizards with Deni Avidja, Celtics with Aaron Nesmith, and the 76ers taking Tyresse Maxey. 

The 2020 NBA draft was very fun and entertaining and I wish the best of luck to these young men going into the NBA. Hopefully, this class proves me wrong but they will have a tough time beating the classes in front of them.Â