Study Hall

Study Hall

This year’s schedule for eighth graders was problematic. We had the choice to take a study hall, but you had to take rotation classes. You also had the option to take two of the following; band, choir, agriculture, or Spanish. Some of the students had the chance to take advanced math and English classes.

Since some students had the chance to take advanced math and English classes, students believe they should be able to take a study hall class without taking rotation classes. Spanish and agriculture classes, along with advanced math, are high school classes; therefore they have more work than a regular eighth grade class. Most students believe if you have a bigger workload, they should be able to take a study hall class to allow them more time to study and complete homework. 

A lot of students also have extra curricular activities after school, which does not allow the student to study and do homework effectively. Most athletes who have practice also have chores at home that they have to complete which also is a burden. Those students have a hard time completing homework correctly or on time. Some students without sports even have a hard time getting school work done. Many people will have a disadvantage when it comes to final GPA because Spanish is a high school credit so it is included in your GPA. If a student takes study hall they can’t take AP Spanish, while the students who take Spanish can take AP Spanish in high school.

Most students we have talked to did not understand why the schedule only gave us two options. Most students wanted to take Spanish and a study hall, but with the way the schedule was created, we couldn’t do that. Some people even specifically asked to take Spanish with a study hall. People have many different opinions on this matter, but that is ours.