“Virtual” Article Review

Just like most schools in the area, Maconaquah provided students with the option to wear a mask to school. According to Spencer Durham in, “Virtual”,  however, the cooperation might be regretting this decision. Maconaquah has now been placed on virtual learning until August 27, 2021. This is due to a high rise in case among students, staff, and bus drivers between Maconaquah High School, Maconaquah Middle school, Maconaquah Elementary School, and Pipe Creek Elementary. Due to contact tracing and positive tests, 34% to nearly 65% of students were put into quarantine, thus putting the entire school on virtual learning. With a definite total of 83 positive cases within the district, the Miami County health officer Dr. James Rudolph has given the district and county three options: countywide mask mandate, masks in schools, or no change at all. The CDC has also given three quarantining options. Those who were contact traced may either return after seven days of quarantine with a negative test or return after ten days without a test but must wear a mask and keep socially distanced and be closely monitored for symptoms or return after a fourteen day quarantine. The recommended options are a countywide mask mandate and fourteen day quarantine, however many people did not agree with this guidance. So far no action has been taken and no decision has been made. Maconaquah schools are expected to return on August 27, 2021 and extracurricular activities are expected to resume on August 20, 2021. For more information, visit the front page of the Kokomo Tribune dated for Wednesday, August 18, 2021.